The Furnace House
The furnace house was built in 1894. Production waste, wood chips and rotten logs were burned in the furnace during winter and hot steam was sent through pipes to the various factory buildings. This was an early form of central heating.
Today the furnace house is open to the public, so that it is possible to study the old heating system of the Kistefos Pulp Mill.
The Foreman's House
The Foreman's House, also known as the Pulp Mill Master's House, was built at the start of the 1890s. The supervisor, whom lived here longest as he held his post for a number of years, was Karl Olufsen. Foreman Olufsen was not just responsible for the mill; he had his own office in the mess building (the present Café Konsulen), where he was in charge of odd jobs that needed to be done. For instance, Olufsen handed out the workers' pay packets every Friday.
The foreman's house has now been restored back to the 1920s. The interior is intended to represent a house belonging to an industrial worker of higher status, and is unique for the Hadeland /Ringerike district.
The 1920s style was chosen as the natural period to represent the foreman's house for several reasons, of which the most important was how the 1920s was a diverse time period in the company's history. The early part of this decade was the peak of production and profit before the Depression hit the factory in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Moreover, it is approximately the middle of the productive life of the mill, thus representing a sort of average.
The project to restore the foreman's house back to the 1920s has been a co-operation between the Kistefos-Museet and the Association of Friends of Kistefos-Museet. The museum has had the prime responsibility for constructional improvements, in regards to safety and rehabilitation, while the Association of Friends has been mainly responsible for the decoration and furnishing of the building.
Grants awarded by Sparebankstiftelsene of Ringerike and Hadeland Lunner Nittedal have been vital for financing the project.
The Wagon Shed
The wagon shed was originally connected to the coachman's house - a house that no longer exists. The coachman's main job was to transport the mill manager around to where he needed to go and haul grindstones to the mill. The wagon shed consisted of three rooms: an outhouse toilet, a stable for the horse and a room for storing the sleigh and the carriages.
The four-wheeled carriage and the sleigh are now exhibited in the wagon shed. Information about and pictures of the coachmen and their work can also be found here.
The Carpentry Workshop
On the second floor of the building that houses the museum shop, there is a carpentry workshop. As of the 2012 season, the carpentry workshop became open to the public. Here, the interior and some of the machinery and tools from when the workshop was in use can be seen.
The building was built in two stages. The first floor, which housed the smithy and mechanical workshop was constructed in 1889-90, while the second floor with the carpentry workshop was added in 1892.
The Fire Wagon House
The fire wagon belonging to Kistefos Træsliberi was housed in this small building. Originally standing next to the mess building (at present the Café Konsulen), it has been moved to its present location in more recent times.
In the 1920s, Randsfjord Træmasse- og Papirfabrikk (Randsfjord Wood Pulp and Paper Factory) caught fire and the Kistefos fire wagon was drawn by horse to Bergerfoss to help put the fire out. This is supposed to be the only time the Kistefos fire wagon was ever in action.
21 May - 8 October
The Kistefos Museum is closed on Mondays.
Information about ticket prices:
Guided tours on saturdays & sundays
(included in the entrance tickets)
Pulp Mill: 1pm
Art Hall: 2pm
Sculpture Park: 3pm
All guided tours start in
the Art Hall's ground floor.
Click on the map below to open the interactive map: